Banana Bread

Tomorrow ends my stint in jury duty. It was a short week but strangely enough we members of the jury have bonded in our time together, despite the fact that nobody seems to know anybody else's name. The best way I can describe it is to say that its like an extended field trip in high school.


So I'm taking advantage of one of the permissions we're allowed as jurors and I'm bringing in baked goods to share with the group. Originally I had planned to make an amazing zucchini muffin recipe Lauren and I discovered last summer, but Meijer didn't have any zucchinis. So instead I made a couple loaves of banana bread.
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp molasses (rum also works, as does 1 tsp vanilla)
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (3-4 bananas)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9x5 inch pan.

Cream margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, molasses/rum/vanilla, then bananas. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to the wet, stirring just until combined. Pour into prepared pan, top with chopped walnuts and bake at 350 for about 1 hour (or till toothpick comes out clean). Remove from pan and let cool, store in refrigerator or freeze.

I'll let you know tomorrow or perhaps over the weekend how the bread turned out. I'll also give some more details about jury duty, assuming I'm finished and am at liberty to speak about it.

Right now the banana bread smells and looks amazing.

p.s. - I violated the "wet on top of dry (to avoid flour coughing all over the counter)" rule of ingredient mixing because I used the KitchenAid to cream the sugar and butter. It wasn't worth it to me to change out mixing bowls or mix by hand. I just ran the mixer on slow.

1 comments:

Rach said...

I can't believe Meijer did not have ANY zucchinis!?! This looks really good. Let me know if it was good b/c I wanted to make some banana bread for Peter's folks when they watch the kids in June.