Stir Fry Success (Finally!) & More

First off, a quick note: I have jury duty this week, which despite what you might hear from other people, is fascinating stuff. So thats 5-8 hours every day, plus I need to at least tread water at my regular job, which doesn't leave me a whole lot of time to cook or write about cooking. So there is a pretty good chance I'll be making pasta and sandwich staples that you can find on this blog throughout the rest of the week and weekend. Thats too bad.


Late last week I did have the opportunity to try out a new stir-fry recipe from Rachel. It was the perfect stir-fry glaze viscocity that Lauren and I have been searching for. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
2 cups chicken (diced)
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
1/4 cup chopped peas
1 medium onion (chopped) 
Additional stir-fry vegetables
1-2 cups cooked white rice
2 tbsp Cashews

Sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
1-2 Tbsp white wine or dry sherry

Directions
Cook diced chicken in saute pan for 5-7 mins, until white all the way through.
Saute vegetables in separate pan until tender and set aside.
Cook rice, set aside
Mix sauce ingredients, stir, set aside
Add chicken to wok (or saute pan) with a little oil
Add chicken and sauce to clean pan, heat thoroughly. Sauce will thicken.
Add vegetables & stir until sauce is thicker veggies are warmed through
Pour over hot rice & serve immediately

Awesome and easy. Makes great leftovers too. I don't know what kind of soy sauce we used, but the next time I'll probably make sure to find a low sodium version if we used this sauce again. I also bought cashews and then completely forgot to put them in, so I feel like I really missed on one of the major ingredients. I can't wait to try adding cornstarch and sugar to my favorite citrus stir-fry sauce to see if if thickens the same way. Eventually I plan to take on the challenge of breading frying and glazing my own version of sesame chicken.

1 comments:

Rach said...

Hurray! I'm glad you liked it. I have also made with seared flank steak...which you have to add after the sauce is finished b/c otherwise it cooks past perfect pink....but it was delicious.